Motor control with FPGA design pattern question

Hi,

I am quite familiar with different design pattern on LabVIEW but I am a newbie on FPGA design. I start working on a project for my own hobby using myRIO to control motor speed with PWM and read back encoder. This is the first part of my project and I plan to expand more later. This project will help me to get use to FPGA too. I am trying to learn a good design pattern by follow the template project which is "LabVIEW FPGA control on Compact RIO". In this template project, feedback value and control signal are analog channels and they connect directly with PID module in FPGA in a normal while loop. The configuration are sent from host. In my prototype project, I already built FPGA module to drive PWM and read encoder using single-cycle time loop. I plan to use PID in real time code. If I want to follow the template design, I have to change the way I implement the code for FPGA and Real-Time. So right now, I am not sure what is a good design I should follow. If you have any advice, I will highly appreciate. 

Thank you very much!

Edited by Thang Nguyen
  • Like 1

Hi,

Why not implement the PID on the FPGA?  There is a pallette within FPGA to help you do this.  This also means you will not have to concern yourself with FIFOs etc going to/from the real time system.

I have implemented PID in LabVIEW FPGA Before fairly easily.  The aproach to take was not having to recompile the FPGA consistently so make all the variables within the loop readable / settable from the RT System.  Plus the FPGA PID loop should run faster meaning (potentially) better control.

Craig

Edited by CraigC

In attachment is my FPGA VI. I have 2 motors. With one motor, I have a single cycle time loop to generate a PWM and another single cycle time loop to analyze the encoder. I would like to ask, if I want to add PID in FPGA, should I create a third while loop to connect encoder value with PID and the PWM generator? This is the only way I think it can happens.

Regards,

TNRover1_FPGA_Main.vi

• 3 months later...

Hey, I am also working on something similar. I have a Guidance, Navigation and control algorithm to drive an unmanned vehicle system. I have written the GNC algorithm within the control and simulation loop and trying to run it but I am getting compilation error also when I would implement this on an unmanned ground vehicle I would require to get encoder count and use it as input for the GNC block and the control the motor through the myRIO. For some reason my hardware components are powering up but not showing any change in the LabVIEW programming. Please help me out. 

Thank you 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ricardo de Abreu
      Hi guys. This semester I'm starting a course system development for control and automation engineering, witch will be based on LabView. Therefore, my University doesn't have a NI hardware, even a MyRIO for us to test our VI and the teacher said that we should test our projects with our own Arduino...
      So, I have a little experience in Arduino and I know the basics for LabView. Now I'm in a point that I know that with Arduino I'll not take the best from LabView. I cannot even deploy a code to it.
      So, there is where my question comes in...
      I'm looking for a new board better then Arduino to use in the classes. I would buy a MyRIO card if I had the money but in Brazil this board is too expensive for me
       Witch one should I get that is closest to myRIO and less expensive than that? I would like to try de deployment of a VI and FPGA..... Is this possible?
      Thanks a lot for the help!
      Regards
    • By grjgrj
      Hello. I need change some code for SbRIO-9626 with LabVIEW 2018. I have code from LabVIEW 2015. Right now I have only LabVIEW 2018. And I worked with it for SbRIO-9627.
      LabVIEW FPGA, LabVIEW Real-Time, NICRIO1800 driver istalled.
      And I install Xilinx ISE 11.5 Compilation Tool too. 
      When I start compilation FPGA VI I got error about problem with compilation too (see attachment picture).
      Could you tell me how I can solve this problem? 
      It is very important. 

• By prabhakaran
      Hi,

I am trying to use image convolution inside FPGA. My Image size is around 6kx2k. The convolution is applied properly until 2600 pixels in x resolution. After that, the values seem to miss previous row data. 

In Detail: As convolution is matrix operation, image data needs to be stored for the operation. But it seems there is an inadvertent error storing only 2600 pixels per row inside FPGA. And hence the filtered output is calculated assuming these pixels to be 0. 

I have tried with different image sizes, different convolution kernels, and also in different targets (cRIO 9030 and IC 3173). All results are same.

I have attached a screenshot of FPGA VI and an example image.

The example image shows an input image of 4000x2500 of same pixel value 16.The kernel is 3x3 of values 1 with divider=1. The RT image is processed using IMAQ convolute inside RT controller and has value 144 [(9*16)/1] for all pixels. But the FPGA processed image (zoomed in) has 144 until 2597 pixels and then 112 (7*16- showing 1 column of 2 rows missing) at 2598, 80 (5*16- showing 2 columns of 2 rows missing) at 2599 and 48 after that (missing 3 columns of 2 rows- current row is always present). This shows the data is missing from the previous rows after 2600 index.

Is there some mistake in the code or any workaround available?

• By tdavid
      Hi,
      If I generate an FPGA IP core from my LabVIEW code, can I use it somehow in traditional FPGA development environments, such as Vivado?
      Thanks,
      David
    • By Nala
      Hello everybody,

I'm about to write an application that can create a complete new FPGA-Project for the cRIO-system automatically without any user Input.

Before I ask my question directly, I will give you a few Information about the system and how it works at the moment.
      I'm working with a cRIO-system that can have different modules in different slots (max 8). That system should be universally usable which means I can replace one module with another one at the start up and create a complete new project with a different name.

Most of the project works (I can find out in which slots which module is placed and load the right VI's correctly) but there is one point which I really dislike: the user always has to give some input Information at the beginning of the creation and mostly that is the same like "Which type of project it should be" or "Which IP address should be used to find the system and the modules for each slot".

The goal is that I can write down some specific arguments so the program is created automatically?
      Or - if there is no way to do this - a way that a second window is shown on screen to help the user through the creation process (for example that tells the user that the system need to be turned on that the project can find every single module)?

English isn't my mother tongue, so please apologize if there are any mistakes in my spelling.
      Thank you very much for your help

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.