LabVIEW 2023Q1 experience

sam

16 hours ago, X___ said:

It speaks volume about the state of LabVIEW when this becomes a new feature worth discussion on LAVA...

One could argue that LabVIEW has reached such a state of complete perfection that all is left to do is to sort out the kinks and that those minuscule fixes are what there is left to discuss! 😄

Edited by codcoder
  • Haha 2

A bit like Egyptian hieroglyphs.

To be spoken over a falcon standing with the White Crown on his head; Atum, Shu and Tefnut, Geb and NutOsiris and IsisSeth and Nepthys being drawn in ochre on a new bowl placed in the sacred barque, together with an image of this spirit (ba) whom you wish to be made worthy, it being anointed with oil. Offer to them incense on the fire and roasted ducks, and worship Ra. It means that he for whom this is done will voyage and be with Ra every day in every place he desires to travel, and it means that the enemies of Ra will be driven off in very deed. A matter a million times true.

9 hours ago, codcoder said:

One could argue that LabVIEW has reached such a state of complete perfection that all is left to do is to sort out the kinks and that those minuscule fixes are what there is left to discuss! 😄

It's about the same state of complete perfection as you see in a graveyard...

1 hour ago, leod said:

It's about the same state of complete perfection as you see in a graveyard...

Oh turn that frown upside down! 🙃

The bug tracker for Python isn't exactly short either. LabVIEW is what it is. It isn't mainstream, you can't git merge, and as a developer I will perhaps never be understood by the text programmers, but at least where I work we like it and find it useful. 😊

1 hour ago, codcoder said:

The bug tracker for Python isn't exactly short either. LabVIEW is what it is. It isn't mainstream, you can't git merge, and as a developer I will perhaps never be understood by the text programmers, but at least where I work we like it and find it useful. 😊

There is NO public bug tracker in LabVIEW... In fact, I am not even sure there is beta program anymore...

30 minutes ago, X___ said:

In fact, I am not even sure there is beta program anymore...

I participated in the 2022 Q3 beta.  And I see Christina mentioned preparing for the 2023 Public Beta on March 9th of 2023.  Which is a bit odd since the mentioned release date of 2023 Q1 was January 2023, with the last update on the document being March 16th of 2023.  I never saw a 2023 beta before it was released.

20 minutes ago, hooovahh said:

I participated in the 2022 Q3 beta.  And I see Christina mentioned preparing for the 2023 Public Beta on March 9th of 2023.  Which is a bit odd since the mentioned release date of 2023 Q1 was January 2023, with the last update on the document being March 16th of 2023.  I never saw a 2023 beta before it was released.

It looks like they're preparing for the 2023 Q3 beta. Hopefully, there will be more new features besides a new icon.

They have promised (3 years ago!) merging some of the NXG features into an "ordinary" Labview, still nothing! And their *new* roadmap doesn't even have anything from NXG, including HiDPI monitor support.

Did you notice that NXG controls are now called "fuse" controls? Seems like they want to get rid of the name "NXG" altogether, including the good stuff. And why this change isn't mentioned anywhere?

4 hours ago, HYH said:

Mentioning the new fuse name, made me find this sad list :

We've known the MathScript was EOL for quite a while now.  So that one is not surprising to me.  The Control Design & Simulation Module is a bit of a shock to me (not that I know anybody that uses it).

But the renaming of the NXG controls is interesting.  If you follow that link in the description, it will eventually lead to a github repository.  Perhaps they are now open-source?

2 hours ago, sam said:

Adding new items:

5:  Express VI code generation doesn't work.   I use Daq Assistance normally to start up a new task and generate some initial code.   NI seems to know the issue, but for 2022 Q3

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q0000019gTMCAY&l=en-CA

So according to the link it seems it does work as long as you have 2021 installed, right?

1 hour ago, Neil Pate said:

So according to the link it seems it does work as long as you have 2021 installed, right?

Not in my case,. I installed LabVIEW 2021 64bit (maybe 32bit?  I honestly forgot and don't have access to double check) .   Didn't try the 2021 32bit or visa versa

I just used the new 2021 and then moved the new created VIs to my project in 2023

13 hours ago, sam said:

Not in my case,. I installed LabVIEW 2021 64bit (maybe 32bit?  I honestly forgot and don't have access to double check) .   Didn't try the 2021 32bit or visa versa

I just used the new 2021 and then moved the new created VIs to my project in 2023

Urgh, that is not good. That Express VI is one of the few I use every now and then to quickly get some DAQmx code up and running.