LAVA site upgraded - Feedback welcome.

I like it.

Different enough to be fresh. Not different enough to force us to learn new workflows.and interfaces. :worshippy:

The only thing I haven't figured out (yet) is how to break quotes so I can reply in sections. I used to just change it to text and then split it up inserting the markup but I can't see a text/html button in the new editor. I expect it can be done another way, just that I was using the brute force method :P

Edited by ShaunR
3 hours ago, ShaunR said:

The only thing I haven't figured out (yet) is how to break quotes so I can reply in sections. I used to just change it to text and then split it up inserting the markup but I can't see a text/html button in the new editor. I expect it can be done another way, just that I was using the brute force method :P

Huh... I never thought of using the the edit-in-text-mode technique! All along, I've copied+pasted the entire post to create a new "section", and then erased the parts not relevant to each section.

19 hours ago, GregSands said:

Seems like any files previously attached to posts are no longer attached.  Is there a script that can run through and relink them all?

I like the new look too.

18 hours ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

Can you link to an example?

Well what do you know, it appears to be ok now :)  For example in this post, my attachment had not been showing as a link (it showed something like [attachment:11623 ...]), so I reattached the file using the editor, and the file link showed along with the "[attachment ...]" text, but today they're both showing as links.  All good!

11 hours ago, ShaunR said:

There a few ways to do what you want. One of them: Just highlight a bunch of text you want to quote. Then hover over it. You will see a link "Quote This". That way you can selectively quote whatever.

But to answer your other question. There's a "Source" button on the toolbar to get to the html if that's what you want.

3 minutes ago, ShaunR said:

Not in my toolbar there isn't

Chrome notifications are cool. I just got notified you posted. Anyway...

I know why the button is missing for you. Because it's disabled by permissions. I think this is wise, since it opens up allowing anyone, including spammers, to post potentially malicious html. So I think I'm gonna leave it off, sorry.

I'm happy that what we were able to find trough google, the link are not broken. :)

Overal, I like it, but in some pages my eyes got lost. Not used to the interface yet.

I'm not a big fan of the square stuff... the menu looks like Windows10.... I do not like this look. but it's only matter of taste.

Benoit

Generally, I'm fine with change, and I like that LAVA keeps swimming and I haven't seen most of the changes yet, but for now, put me on the haters side, if only for two reasons:

1. White. So much white. I had a similar complaint with some upgrade NI had at some point. While the LAVA situation is better than the NI one was, I still feel there isn't enough contrast in the various separators and I find the white hurts my eyes. This is probably screen-dependent, and I probably would get used to it, but I am putting it out there that I would prefer a change in the colors.
  2. The alignment on the unread content page is now annoying to me. I found it easier to scan the old version, particularly with regards to the placement of the bullet. Here's a comparison:
    Unread.png

Because this page is the main way I interact with the site, I expect I will find this annoying over time too.
20 minutes ago, Yair said:

Because this page is the main way I interact with the site, I expect I will find this annoying over time too.

There's also a condensed view, if you click the little icon. Perhaps that's better for you.
It's also live updating which is nice. So you can leave it open and don't have to click refresh.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Yair said:
  1. White. So much white. I had a similar complaint with some upgrade NI had at some point. While the LAVA situation is better than the NI one was, I still feel there isn't enough contrast in the various separators and I find the white hurts my eyes. This is probably screen-dependent, and I probably would get used to it, but I am putting it out there that I would prefer a change in the colors.

Michael addressed #2 but as for #1 I think it won't matter in the not too distant future.

Layout and styling are becoming more client side and you will see more things like Stylish appearing-probably being offered from the websites themselves as "templates". I use TamperMonkey and GreaseMonkey to intercept and modify a websites CSS and JS so I no longer get annoyed with website layouts. The effort I would put into moaning about it, I just write a quick script and make it exactly as I want then move on. I don't think I need to do that for the new Lavag.org but fiddling with the background colour in TamperMonkey shouldn't be too hard for a seasoned programmer.

This is also my solution to the abysmal LabVIEW user interface ;)

Edited by ShaunR
8 hours ago, Yair said:

If you're using Google Chrome, try this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hacker-vision/fommidcneendjonelhhhkmoekeicedej

• Like 1