"Propagating Calibration Changes" or "Difference Based Configurations"

dterry

1 hour ago, dterry said:

ShaunR,

It seems like the database you sent is encrypted.  Is there a password?  Right now, I get errors because the file path ("TM.3db-> 12345" + AppDir)  seems to resolve to <Not a Path>.  I replaced it with a hardcoded path, and got the "Enter Password" dialog.  Taking a SWAG, I entered "12345", but it threw error 26 [file is encrypted or is not a database].  I found that the password dialog was being bypassed (see below), but it worked fine once I rewired it.

2017-02-15_1129.png

From what I can tell, the schema you put together looks some like my E-R diagram above.  It helped to be able to see it somewhat implemented, and I think I may end up going this route, and dealing with the consequences (enforcing names/types/values, complex queries, application side logic, etc.).  

Thanks a ton for your help with this!  It has been very enlightening and helpful in narrowing my focus for configuration management!

It says on the diagram password is "12345" although I'm so familiar with the syntax I didn't really give much thought that it wasn't obvious for those that haven't seen the "Speed Example". If you want to see it in other packages then just make a backup (there's a button for it in the toolbar). The backup will be unencrypted. It still has to go through formal testing for inclusion so thanks for the debug (re: path wire). Not sure why you got "not-a-path" since it is supposed to return the filename appended to either the project directory or the directory from which the top level VI exists in. I expect that will disappear when it is included in the main package but I will error guess to see if I can smell the reason and make it more robust.

With regards to types. SQLite is [almost] typeless - It is one of the reasons I love SQLite . It uses what are called affinities which, for the most part, affect how data is stored rather than imposing type constraints. I use this to remove the strict typing in LabVIEW (you'll notice everything is a string). If you move to another DB then you will of course have to consider the types and your code will become more complex as you convert backwards and forwards for the specific types.  You will also notice that each parameter has a "type" field, which is nothing more than a text label so that when required in LabVIEW, the strict typing can be reintroduced for the things that matter, if desired. (the VI I used to "guess" your types from the INI files needs some more work ;) ). That isn't required for this configuration example (everything's a string...lol), But it is based on a real configuration editor I have written many times over for different people.

You have a number of choices from this point on for "Steps". You could make another table just like the "parameters/Limits" or you could just use labels (groups). The problem with the former is that it is not very generic and you usually run into problems further down the line with instruments "in use" when they are used for multiple test steps in parallel. The labels approach enables you to just use a filter on the parameters (works for both limits and configuration) but I can see good arguments for either. You will note that the schema is hinged on Instrument configuration and steps don't really factor into that very much - just like the tests. So the schema isn't hierarchical from Test>Steps>Parameters as you show in you second ER diagram.

Calculations are anyone's' guess. I don't know what they are for or what they do. Off the top of my head, I would probably consider them just another parameter with a "calc" label or group.