Jump to content

jcarmody

Members
  • Posts

    936
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    36

Everything posted by jcarmody

  1. >> If anyone is interested I can share the results later on. Done, and interested. I want to know how many I got right! 😕
  2. I worked with an engineer named "Glen". Glen was the inventor of GXI, or "Glen's Expense-able Interface" with a small selection of I/O devices to choose from. It sounds similar to what your guy did, but for a different reason. None of his projects came with a budget for test equipment!
  3. Off topic, but you've struck on a perfect name for my next online chess account! I'll drop the "you're" and add a few underscores, but that's it. Thanks.
  4. This is pertinent to the discussion on Unicode, but more related to the meme - https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2003/10/08/the-absolute-minimum-every-software-developer-absolutely-positively-must-know-about-unicode-and-character-sets-no-excuses/
  5. I had dreams of someday going to one and taking selfies with all of my LabVIEW heroes.
  6. I worked for an NI Alliance Member company and signed a (legally non-binding) non-compete agreement, which meant I wasn't supposed to be poachable. I found a job opening at a company that turned out to be working with my employer on an unrelated-to-me project which I wasn't hired to take over, so I wasn't competing and jumped ship.
  7. I'm nearly certain that you can't create a new control in a running VI, You can make hidden buttons that you show/position/resize.
  8. After years of mergers, acquisitions and reorganization I've finally ended up in a Test Engineering group that primarily uses C#. The current environment of legacy LabVIEW systems will keep me gainfully employed (maybe) but I'm glad to be facing the specter/opportunity of learning a new language. Wish it was python, though...
  9. I can confirm that uninstalling the later RTE resolved my problem (as did recompiling with that switch deselected). I can also say that I've told NI in the context of my currently-open-but-about-to-be-closed Service Request. If you worked with me, drjdpowell, I'd get you a cash award large enough for a nice dinner for two (or more). Here I can only say thank you. Thank you very much. Jim
  10. I've posted this on NI's forum, but the Machine Vision group isn't particularly active. - https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/IMAQ-image-indicator-is-black-now/m-p/4137840#M53508 We've been running a version of a machine-vision/control software since 2012, with the latest revision being LabVIEW 2018 released a year ago. It uses two analog cameras and some digital IO, and the cameras stopped displaying the image on Friday. I can snap/grab images in MAX, but not with the LabVIEW software (or an executable built on just the image-grabbing part of the larger code.) I made a smaller program that snaps a picture and saves it to disk. This, too, fails to show me the picture but does put the picture to disk. Only, when I read the saved image (using IMAQ ReadFile 2) I get the same black-filled indicator (but it works properly on my dev PC). The problem seems to be only with IMAQ displaying the images to an image indicator. We thought that something broke when someone installed another LabVIEW program the day the problem started, but I replaced the (Win7) PC with a freshly-imaged (Win10) PC this morning and reinstalled our software along with MAX (20) and Vision Acquisition (18.5, the same as was on the original PC). This had no affect on the problem. You could have knocked me over with a feather. We've since swapped the video card, camera and NI PCI-1410 frame-grabber. I was grasping at straws here, but I'd take a straw at this point. Do you have any ideas? Any troubleshooting steps I could take?
  11. I particularly like that the Magic Delay Fairy QD Plug-in is prominently displayed, only one click from the home page.
  12. I don't believe that your intention is to loop through all of the hard-coded PINs twelve times. Remove that constant to the For loop and let the tunnel from your array of PINs auto-index. I'm confused about how you've got a 1-D array of Booleans being indexed into a 2-D array, but your Front Diagram indicator looks like only 1-D. Surely my eyes aren't so bad that I can't see that green wire getting bigger outside the loop...
  13. I had experienced the same (similar) thing, but I just got a new computer and the issue appears to have gone away.
  14. There's an entire forum dedicated to this discussion here - https://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/bd-p/Certification Good luck!
  15. I think it was in the early '90s that I took a Fortran class. People only a year ahead of me had used punch-cards; I'm glad I missed that boat.
  16. That brings me back to my time learning BASIC programming on my VIC-20 (in the early 80s).
  17. We use the JKI State Machine, but have begun adding DQMHs. My last project launches up to twelve of them; my current project launches one or two. Both depend upon the number of pieces being tested (and were written by my CLA-colleague). I wanted to use JKI SMOs, but was given DQMH (and am happy about that, too).
  18. There's an OpenG vi that does that - "Number to Proper English Text.vi". You can download here - http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209027
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.