Disable or modify close button (red X) at top right of window?

I've had a request to disable or modify the RED X at top right of MS Window for a LabVIEW program.

Everyone here knows to ONLY use File->Exit to quit from LabVIEW. Sometimes, though a harried operator on a PC with plural windows will accidentally click that RED X thinking it's the overlaying ap's window. This, of course, wreaks havoc on the test underway. Would be nice to make that impossible, or at least doubly hard.

So...is there a way to do that? Or alternately, to cause an ARE YOU SURE? intermediary window?

TIA,

Gan

I prefer to just disable the X using the VI Properties... less code on diagram to have to worry about. And the user doesn't have a useless [X] button to keep clicking on that doesn't do anything. Unless, of course, you're going to actually add code so that the [X] button causes Exit.

• Like 1

Aye, typically I wouldn't disable it altogether. It might be conditionally disabled during a specific action or present a prompt tied to a proper shutdown procedure instead.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By torekp
      Supposedly there are Labview tools available at
      http://www.lvs-tools.co.uk/software/utilities/
      But whenever I try to register or login, nothing happens.  (Also, I try to think, but nothing happens.)  Are there any other Labview codes that use the Windows Memory-Mapped Files functions, or should I just reinvent this wheel?  By the way, here is a Microsoft document on the subject: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810613.aspx
    • By _Y_
      We use USB-connected Microsoft Smart Card Reader. The devise crashes sometimes. It does not happen often thus search for the reason could take time.
      The only way to get the devise functioning again, is to open Device Manager, click Uninstall then Scan for hardware changes (that installs the Reader again).
      Is there any method to do this from LabVIEW? I.e. send commands to reinstall the USB device?
      I know this could be a bad fix. However, it can help in long-time tests (while we are searching for reason of these crushes).
      Thank you
    • By Jillu Pravin
      Hi all ,
      Need help regarding the Vi i have made which works fine with labVIEW pane.Which i need to capture in windows screen.
      I have attached the vi which works great in labVIEW pane and records each event of click inside the pane.i haven't find any options in event structure for capturing mouse events out side the pane (ie which captures windows UI ) .  I know i could make it with while loop capturing mouse coordinates still i feel its not a reliable way to record .So please let me know how to make it in Event structure or is there any reliable way to make without event structure.

Capture tool LabVIEWpane.vi
    • By Benoit
      This XControl has the nice feature that a Calendar control should give you.
      Multilanguage support by property node.
      The input and output are Labview Time Stamp.

When selecting a date, the date in the calendar become light blue.

Please you receive this XControl for free. The minimum you can do is to rate it.

• By Benoit
      Name: Calendar XControl
      Submitter: Benoit
      Submitted: 09 Jan 2016
      Category: *Uncertified*
      LabVIEW Version: 2011License Type: BSD (Most common)

This XControl has the nice feature that a Calendar control should give you.
      Multilanguage support by property node.
      The input and output are Labview Time Stamp.

When selecting a date, the date in the calendar become light blue.

Please you receive this XControl for free. The minimum you can do is to rate it.

Click here to download this file

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.