What method should I use for transfer the latest value without polling?

Go to solution Solved by ned,

Hi,

I would like to ask which method should I use for transferring latest data between determinism process. I don't want to use single process shared variable with RT FIFO enable since it will polling data. I don't want to use the RT FIFO function because I cannot send the latest value. Queue is not determinism. I am not sure if Notify is determinism or not. Anyone with experience about this?

Regards,

Thang Nguyen

@Crossrulz: I have 3 array of doubles (640 elements each from a line scan). I guess I can use single process shared variable single element with another counter to tell if this is the latest data or not. How do you think?

Edit: Sorry for my brainstorm idea. I forgot that I don't want it polling. I want the blocking feature.

Edited by Thang Nguyen
  • Solution
Edit: Sorry for my brainstorm idea. I forgot that I don't want it polling. I want the blocking feature.

Blocking and determinism don't really go together. What are you trying to achieve here? Do you want the deterministic loop to wait until it receives a new value (at which point it won't be deterministic anymore), or do you want that loop to run at the same rate consistently regardless of whether there is new data? If the latter, one approach might be a functional global variable, with the "Skip Subroutine if Busy" option set (and add a boolean output that confirms the data is good before you use it, in case it is skipped).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By govindsankarmr
      Hi, 
      I am looking for a paid or free course online for LabVIEW instrument control that covers topic like  communication protocols, RS232. GPIB etc. Can anyone suggest a good one. Thank You.
      Govind
    • By Porter
      View File Plasmionique Modbus Master
      This package contains the Plasmionique Modbus Master library for LabVIEW.
      It supports RTU, ASCII and TCP modes with the following function codes:
      0x01 - Read Coils
      0x02 - Read Discrete Inputs
      0x03 - Read Holding Registers
      0x04 - Read Input Registers
      0x05 - Write Single Coil
      0x06 - Write Single Register
      0x07 - Read Exception Status
      0x0F - Write Multiple Coils
      0x10 - Write Multiple Registers
      0x16 - Mask Write Register
      0x17 - Read/Write Multiple Registers
      0x2B/0x0E - Read Device Identification
      Other features include:
      - Sharing a COM port across multiple Modbus sessions using VISA locks (10 second timeout).
      - Sharing a Modbus session across multiple communication loops.
      - TCP transaction ID handling to ensure that requests and responses are matched up correctly in case responses are received out of order.
      - Modbus Comm Tester, available through the "Tools->Plasmionique" menu, for testing communication with a slave device without writing any code. 
      - Detailed help document available through the "Help->Plasmionique" menu.
      Examples are included in "<LabVIEW>\examples\Plasmionique\MB Master\":
      MB_Master Comm Tester.vi: Demonstrates usage of API to open/close connection and communicate with a Modbus slave device. MB_Master Multiple Sessions.vi: Demonstrates usage of API to open concurrent Modbus sessions. MB_Master Simple Serial.vi: Demonstrates polling of a single input register over serial line. Download a copy of the user guide here: MB_Master - User Guide.pdf
      Note that Version 1.3.4 of this library has been certified compatible with LabVIEW and has been released on the LabVIEW Tools Network: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/214230
      The most recent version of this library will always be released on LAVA first before going through NI's certification process.
      ***This project is now available on GitHub: https://github.com/rfporter/Modbus-Master
      Submitter Porter Submitted 04/01/2016 Category LabVIEW Tools Network Certified LabVIEW Version 2012 License Type BSD (Most common)  
    • By Porter
      This package contains the Plasmionique Modbus Master library for LabVIEW.
      It supports RTU, ASCII and TCP modes with the following function codes:
      0x01 - Read Coils
      0x02 - Read Discrete Inputs
      0x03 - Read Holding Registers
      0x04 - Read Input Registers
      0x05 - Write Single Coil
      0x06 - Write Single Register
      0x07 - Read Exception Status
      0x0F - Write Multiple Coils
      0x10 - Write Multiple Registers
      0x16 - Mask Write Register
      0x17 - Read/Write Multiple Registers
      0x2B/0x0E - Read Device Identification
      Other features include:
      - Sharing a COM port across multiple Modbus sessions using VISA locks (10 second timeout).
      - Sharing a Modbus session across multiple communication loops.
      - TCP transaction ID handling to ensure that requests and responses are matched up correctly in case responses are received out of order.
      - Modbus Comm Tester, available through the "Tools->Plasmionique" menu, for testing communication with a slave device without writing any code. 
      - Detailed help document available through the "Help->Plasmionique" menu.
      Examples are included in "<LabVIEW>\examples\Plasmionique\MB Master\":
      MB_Master Comm Tester.vi: Demonstrates usage of API to open/close connection and communicate with a Modbus slave device. MB_Master Multiple Sessions.vi: Demonstrates usage of API to open concurrent Modbus sessions. MB_Master Simple Serial.vi: Demonstrates polling of a single input register over serial line. Download a copy of the user guide here: MB_Master - User Guide.pdf
      Note that Version 1.3.4 of this library has been certified compatible with LabVIEW and has been released on the LabVIEW Tools Network: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/214230
      The most recent version of this library will always be released on LAVA first before going through NI's certification process.
      ***This project is now available on GitHub: https://github.com/rfporter/Modbus-Master
    • By Yohann
      Hello,
      I'm currently encountering a problem when accessing FPGA indicator with "Reading/ writing a control" node
      The FPGA part acquires data every 10µs
      The RT part Read the indicator every 2000µs
      But when Running the VIs, I see that the elapsed time between 2 Readings of the indicator change from one iteration to another
      Can someone help me?
    • By Tripmeister
      Hey guys,

I'm trying to do some scripting on a Realtime-VI wich uses the FPGA Interface "Read/Write Control". I open a Reference to a VI containing a Read/Write Control, and when scrolling through the BD-Objects I find it with the class-name "nirviReadWriteControl".
      I used the "to more specific class"-VI to check wich class i can cast it to, and i tracked it down to be child of the GObject->Node Class. But i can't cast it to any of the childs offered in the class specifier constant.
      I also found out, that the "nirviReadWriteControl" is a xnode.
      I have never worked with those, is there a way to access theyr methods (I think they're called "abilities" for xnodes)?

The goal of the application is to make the Read/Write Control display all available FPGA FP-Elements, and connect Controls/Indicators to them.

There is the same Problem with the "Open FPGA Reference"-Node (Classname "nirviOpenFPGA").

I really hope somebody dealed with the xnodes a bit and can help me programmatically controlling them!

Best,
      Trip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.