ensegre

Shared variables on linux

More out of curiosity than of hope: has anybody any idea why SVs are almost unsupported on linux? By almost I mean that controls and indicators cannot be bound to shared variables, and that shared variables cannot be programmatically created and looked up. I know that SVs hosted on windows can be accessed in linux LV using datasocket nodes, but that is all it gets. And it has been said that datasocket is despicable. What are the missing pieces that make SV windows-only?

I didn't find much in the canonical places, so I posted a dumb zero-kudos attracting idea.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By torekp
      DLL functions or shared variables?  Or something else?
      I have a Labview 2014-64 executable (or I can build a DLL) that runs one piece of equipment, the X-ray.  The other engineer has a large CVI Labwindows 2015 + MS Visual Studio 2012 (C++) executable that runs everything else.  I want the Labview code to be a slave of the CVI code, accepting commands to turn X-ray On or Off, reporting failures, and the like.  Translating the X-ray code into C++ would be possible in principle, but not fun.
      Shared variables look easy, but I'm kinda scared of them.  I would define all the shared variables in my LV code, since I'm more familiar with LV, then use them in both.  There's a thread in here called "Shared Variable Woes" so maybe I should be scared.  In the alternative, I tried building a proof-of-concept DLL in Labview, and calling its functions in CVI/C++, and it works, but it's kinda clunky.  (I'm attaching it below in case you want to play, or advise.)
      Your advice would be appreciated.
      XrayDLL.zip
    • By PaulL
      Out of the box text in the icon editor looks awful. (See attached image, which is better looking than most.)
      (Yes, even with small fonts: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Linux-Users/Labview-Icons-under-GNOME/gpm-p/3379530.)
      Details:
      LabVIEW 2016 64-bit, CentOS 7 Linux OS

We have tried many things to get this to work, to no avail. 
      Does anyone have a solution?

• By szewczak
      I wanted to cross post metux's discovery here asap, and have a separate discussion.
      Metux's original post:
      The recent Linux driver package introduces a CRITICAL security vulnerability:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-linux-device-drivers-2018/7664/en/

It adds additional yum/zypper repos, but explicitly disabling package signing and using unencrypted HTTP transport. That way, it's pretty trivial to completely takeover the affected systems, by injecting malicious packages.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS BROKEN SOFTWARE - IT IS DANGEROUS !

CERT and BSI are already notified.

• By Tim_S
      Thought I'd pass this along and see if anyone can reproduce with different versions of LabVIEW. Appreciate it if anyone has seen this and has a fix.
      I'm using shared variables to communicate between applications (1:N). I'd been seeing some memory creep that was inconsistent and somewhat bizarre. Eventually managed to track it down to that I'm programmatically opening a connection to a shared variable in one loop, then reading the value in a different loop (the different loops have to do with reconnecting on connection loss and startup). There is a functional global used to pass the variable to the second loop. The Read Variable primitive deallocates all but 4 bytes of memory for the previous loop handle and then allocates memory for a new handle on each iteration of the while loop, hence creating a leak. This behavior does not occur if there is only one loop where there is an open, while loop with a read, and a close.
      Main.vi demonstrates the issue. Main 2.vi is more like the NI example.
      I've got service request #7728859 with NI going, but I think I got the guy's first day.
      LabVIEW 2015 SP1 32-bit on Win7 64-bit. Shared Variables memory leak.zip
    • By Zyl
      Hi everybody,
      Currently working on VeriStand custom devices, I'm facing a 'huge' problem when debugging the code I make for the Linux RT Target. The console is not availbale on such targets, and I do not want to fall back to the serial port and Hyperterminal-like programs (damn we are in the 21st century !! )...
      Several years ago (2014 if I remember well) I posted an request on the Idea Exchange forum on NI's website to get back the console on Linux targets. NI agreed with the idea and it is 'in development' since then. Seems to be so hard to do that it takes years to have this simple feature back to life.
      On my side I developped a web-based console : HTML page displaying strings received through a WebSocket link. Pretty easy and fast, but the integration effort (start server, close server, handle push requests, ...)must be done for each single code I create for such targets.
      Do you have any good tricks to debug your code running on a Linux target ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.