Lurker Roll Call

Let us know who you are

My name is Jim Carmody. I'm a Mechanical Engineer/CLD/CPI with (almost) two whole years of LabVIEW experience.

where you’re from

I'm from Connecticut, but I've been living in North Carolina for the last four years.

what you do

I've been working as a Test Engineer for in the aerospace/defense industry for the past four months.

whatever

I've been programming forever (I began with BASIC on a Commodore VIC20). I've solved some interesting problems over the years but I've never been anything more than a pretty good amateur. I started using LabVIEW when I took a position as a Software Engineer, learning the language on-the-job, and becoming very fond of it along the way. I lurk around lavag.org because I want to become an excellent LabVIEW programmer and I'm hoping that spending time in this community will help me grow.

Welcome to LAVA.

QUOTE (rharding @ Sep 5 2008, 11:24 PM)

any suggestions would be appreciated. have a good day.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but you should post it to a different thread.

In general, error 1172 doesn't mean anything, as it's just the error code for a .NET exception. The description is what's important and you might want to search around for that in pages related to C# or to that library. Alternatively, you can try calling the library directly from LabVIEW using the call library function node or you can try using a set of LabVIEW wrappers for WinPCAP which might do what you want and which was posted to the NI forums.

Hi All,

Originally from the UK, but now living in New York City and working in Fort Lee, NJ, I have been using LabVIEW seriously as my day job for the last year (and probably a lurker here for the last 6 months). After going to NI Week this year, I have been promising to myself, (and trying ;) ) to play a more active roll with the wider LabVIEW community! :D

With the last year I have progressed from playing with LabVIEW as a tool with applications of less than 20 VIs, to developing systems with over 1000 (all be it, there was a team of us on that one) and, with a bit of luck, soon I will be a CLA (I took the exam on Tuesday)!

Nice to meet you all!

Shaun :)

G'day from the Land Down Under....

I only just found this forum.... :blink:

and I've been a part time LabVIEW user since the Pioneer version almost 20 years ago. :headbang:

I am a hardware engineer, and my position has evolved into a mechatronics role, incorportaing mechanical, electronic and computing systems.

I love electronic hardware and mechanical design using tools such as Protel and Solidworks, and I used to love LabVIEW.

I work in one of Australia's top sports institutes and have built equipment and developed apps using LabVIEW for research in sport science, determining the physiological parameters of elite athletes to help assess effectiveness of training and exercise protocols, and supplemental nutritional goods and other performance enhancement strategies (all the legal ones, that is :yes: ).

Some of the applications include assessment of oxygen consumption (VO2), power output on various ergometers (cycling, rowing, kayak paddling), treadmill control and various force plate systems for biomechanics. Quality assurance has always been an important factor for our laboratory measurements, and I have developed quite a number of apps to evaluate the accuracy of our measurements. One such item is a dynamometer used to calibrate the ergometers we use... it is capable of delivering 2500 watts of power with a certified accuracy of +/- 0.05%. LabVIEW is used to control the dyno, as well as collect the data and provide the calibration reports. It was built 15 years ago and is still running reliably on a PC running Windows 95, with an ATMIO16 card, and some other custom hardware interfacing for isolation.

************************************************************************************************

My basic philosophy is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" But I need to ascertain the ongoing viability of these apps, as new computers are introduced with new operating systems, and non-compatible bus architectures with my original design. :throwpc:

All of the apps were developed using LabVIEW v5.1 and most of the apps use either the ATMIO16 multifunction acquisition card or PCTIO10 counter / timer card.

I have been updating/upgrading PC hardware recently, and have succeeded in getting a couple of applications working using the newer M-series cards PCI-6024E, but I have issues of compatibility with several of my original apps using the AM9513 counter timing chip.

I don't seem to be able to use the old style boards with LabVIEW 8 due to lack of driver support, and the new cards do not provide the same functionality of period measurement... or maybe I just don't know how to set them up. I have tried using the USB62XX series and can't get it done.... I am having some difficulty in making the transition from v5.1 to v8.2. It isn't as easy as I thought it should be. There are many incompatible vi's which make porting apps unsuccessful.

I hope I might be able to get some assistance from all you full time LabVIEW gurus, and if there's anything an old fossil like me can help with, I'm only too happy to contribute.

cheers

tom

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings!

I'm from Tennessee, USA, live in Alabama, work in Tennessee. Hour and a half commute, but little to no traffic if I get up early.

Been using and abusing LabVIEW since version 6 or so.

<shameless plug>

I'll be at NIWeek 09, if you're interested in mixing LabVIEW and .Net, I'm presenting on just that topic Tuesday morning. (TS-1387)

</shameless plug>

Hi.

I've been lurking here for about year and a half. I was first introduced to LabVIEW at the uni (physics), where I did a small inverter control software for bone screw testing. After that I've done some Matlab, PLC stuff and whatnot. Currently I work as a design engineer, doing various information and measurement systems.

I've been spoiled by various other programming languages including Ada, Common Lisp, Forth, Tcl/Tk, OCaml and Erlang. I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm no guru in any of them.

I have this love/hate relationship with LabVIEW: it's easy to do simple things but nearly impossible to do some stuff. Dynamically adding controls to front panel would be nice sometimes... :frusty: I did ~200 controls in one project and hid them away because dynamic creation was not an option. The UI had to be customizable during run-time. Luckily VI scripting came out.

Current pet problem: how to make recursive type definitions in LabVIEW? I really could use one (a cluster of string and array, where the array elements are the clusters).

Edit: I first search Lava and if I find no help, then I search the other place. Usually I find everything necessary here, with much more detail too.

Edited by Jarimatti Valkonen

...and we've missed you! Didn't you have a avatar with the rockin' hand of God coming out of the clouds? Or is that someone esle I'm thinking of...

Aw shucks.

That was the avatar I had before. Something I clipped out of a Sinfest strip.

...guess I'll have to come up with another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think people are taking advanced serious and read the manuals first before asking how to add two number in LV.

The other side of the coin would be people asking for VIs doing the central thing of their thesis which they have to hand in this afternoon. And getting angry if there is no reply within 20 minutes.