What music do you code to?

PaulG.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Aug 11 2008, 07:47 PM)

That's just plain wrong!

Later that night...

Ah crap! Now I've got "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree" in my head!

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 11 2008, 08:52 PM)

Very good choice. This used to me driving music on my way from college back home.

For coding I either go with the iTunes Party mix (ranging from Frank Sinatra to Journey, with some Pearl Jam and Jerry Jeff Walker thrown in), but when it gets really tough and I need to tune out the surrounding cube land, I put on the noise cancelling head phones and embarassingly enough pick the Sound of Music sound track. :wacko: For some reason it works for me. Don't question results. (I guess now I will find out how many of my coworker actually read LAVA.) :D

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 11 2008, 09:05 PM)

That's just plain wrong!

Later that night...

Ah crap! Now I've got "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree" in my head!

:headbang: :wacko: Dangit Chris, I listened to a bit of each song on that mix last night with no ill effects. Now you put that dang song in my head when I'm at work! xyxnervous.gif

Occasionally I like to listen to music when I'm working on code.

For online streaming CBC 3 has always been a favorite. I also like the R3-30 Podcast from the same place.

When I'm feeling bluesy, I like Blue Ears

But when I'm working on something tricky, or trying something for the first time (which is quite often) I tend to prefer absolute silence. (Or the horrified screams of my victims)

I usually randomly select songs from the music I have on my hard drive. The others usually like them and I usually mix them unless they go together.

Here are some example of songs we heard in the last couple of days. I selected these specifically because they're related to what people already posted:

• Queen (don't remember which song off hand).
  • Tie a yellow ribbon (YEAH!).
  • Dream Theater - Wait for sleep.
  • All of the four seasons.
  • Pachelbel's Canon in D.
  • Dire Straits (not from Brothers, but Lions and Down to the waterline).
  • Simon and Garfunkel - The sound of silence.

That of course was just a small selection, since during the course of the day you can here dozens of songs.

Alas, I normally code in silence. Occasionally I'll put on something without lyrics, and I went through a phase a few years ago when I liked to code to techno/electronica.

The problem is that the same part of my brain that likes music seems to also be involved in coding, and I get really distracted by the music. Then I have to pick up one of my cats and dance around the room with it, and that's more than you wanted to hear anyway, so I'll stop.

It's usually blues and/or jazz.

SRV (having just been to NI Week in Austin his music is very present on my mind).

Delbert McClinton

Butterfield Blues Band

Koko Taylor

Bonnie Raitt

Robert Cray...

and/or

David Sanborn

Coltrain

Ocar Peterson

Miles Davis

Early George Benson

Bob James

and for the "Benefit" of some of you old R&R types, the third Jethro Tull album, Cream, Traffic, Doors, King Crimson...

just to name a few.