SQL Query returns no records with NI tools, works in Managment Studio

Hi,

I am connecting to an SQL server running 10.5. Using LabVIEW Database Connectivity toolkit and/or TestStand's Database Viewer I can successfully open a connection and run a simple query which returns the proper records. A more advanced query and no records are returned and the properties show that the state is closed. Copy and pasting this query into Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio successfully fetches the correct records. Also running this same query in python using pyodbc returns the correct record.

The VI is straight forward. I attached the snippet.

My first thought is that the string contains some bytes in codes that causes the query to be interpreted wrong by NI's tools. Does anybody have experience as to why a query works in other environments but not in NI's tools? Again, a simple query did work, but a more complex one did not.

Thanks!

post-47092-0-71009800-1384888322_thumb.p

Thanks for the reply ShaunR.

I had done that but it doesn't change the functionality, nor lead me anywhere. The more I use NI tools, I think it's not the string "" codes affecting it. If you take LabVIEW out of the equation and use TestStand's Database viewer tool or more simply calling Database steps (Open DB, Open SQL Statement, Data Operation, etc.), records are not returned. This leads me to believe it's something in the implementation of the NI SQL interface.

Did you try to use a stored procedure instead? If this would return any records, the next step is to analyze the query for issues or inform NI about a possible bug. Also could you post the SQL query or an example that fails?

I've discovered a bit more and it seems to deal with the DECLARE @<variable> statement. For example:

DECLARE @FOO varchar(100) = '123456'    select BaseID, LotID, SubID, SplitID, InstanceID     from MyTable     where DrawingNumber LIKE @FOO and (LotID = 'EWR' or LotID = 'RWK') and Status = 'R' 

That does not work in LabVIEW or TestStand but it does work in other environments. Rewriting, the following works in LabVIEW

select BaseID, LotID, SubID, SplitID, InstanceID     from MyTable     where DrawingNumber LIKE '%s' and (LotID = 'EWR' or LotID = 'RWK') and Status = 'R' 

and TestStand

"select BaseID, LotID, SubID, SplitID, InstanceID     from MyTable     where DrawingNumber LIKE '" + Locals.PartNumber + "' and (LotID = 'EWR' or LotID = 'RWK') and Status = 'R' "

This indicates to me that somewhere between getting the string of the SQL query and actually giving that string to the SQL Server, something was altered. I tried escaping the @ string but that didn't help. It appears on some ni.com forums that they have issues with DECLARE but I'm unsure as to the degree. (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/SQL-Query-Works-in-MS-SQL-Server-2008-but-not-when-using/td-p/2151492)

I could use the Create Parameterized Query and Set Parameter Values VIs but that seems like a work around to translate a SQL query which typically works for use with LabVIEW. I'm trying to have one text document filled with queries that any environment can pull from.

As mentioned in the NI forum, the Database Connectivity Toolkit is essentially a wrapper around an ADO ActiveX object. ADO uses an ODBC connection internally and there are syntax differences when using ODBC compared to using MS SQLServer directly: @variable declarations are not supported via ODBC.

This is very interesting. Do you know any particular page we could look up for that kind of stuff (like a comparison between MS-SQL vs. ODBC vs. ...)? My main source is MSDN as well as various pages I could find over Google.

Best resource is indeed MSDN:

On http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yy6y35y8%28v=vs.110%29.aspx you can find information how parameters are used when working with OLE DB, ODBC or MS-SQL in .NET , ODBC in .NET is provided via ADO.NET which is similar to ADO ActiveX.

Most important, you can't declare parameters as @param, you have to use a question mark instead and pass all your parameters in the right order.

I stumbled upon that when I had to write a data table editor in C#.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great advice. Thanks everybody.

I was able to resolve this in a very very simple way: changed my provider in my datalink. I was using the more generic OLE DB provider but switching to the more native SQL server provider resolved it. This goes hand in hand with what candidus was saying.

Below is an illustration of the difference between the 2 methods of connection:

Screen+Shot+2013-12-03+at+9.08.14+AM.png Screen+Shot+2013-12-03+at+9.07.27+AM.png

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kosist90
      Dear Community,
      let me present our new ANV Database Toolkit, which has been recently released at vipm.io.
      Short introduction to the toolkit is posted by this link, and it also describes steps which should be done in order to use this toolkit.
      ANV Database Toolkit helps developers design LabVIEW API for querying various databases (MS SQL, MySQL, SQLite, Access). It allows to create VIs which can be used as API with the help of graphical user interface. When using these VIs, toolkit handles connection with the database, thus relieving developers of this burden in their applications.
      It has the following features:
      Simplifies handling of databases in LabVIEW projects Allows to graphically create API VIs for Databases Supports Read, Write, Update and Delete queries Supports various database types (MS SQL, MySQL, SQLite, Access) Overall idea is that developer could create set of high-level API VIs for queries using graphical user interface, without actual writing of SQL queries. Those API VIs are used in the application, and handle database communication in the background. Moreover, SQL query could be applied to any of the supported database types, it is a matter of database type selection. Change of target database does not require changes in API VI which executes the query.
      After installation of the toolkit, sample project is available, which shows possibilities of the toolkit in terms of execution different types of queries.
      Note, that in order to install the toolkit, VI Package Manager must be launched with Administrator privileges.
      This toolkit is paid, and price is disclosed based on price quotation. But anyway, there are 30 days of trial period during which you could tryout the toolkit, and decide whether it is helpful (and hope that it will be) for your needs.
      In case of any feedback, ideas or issues please do not hesitate to contact me directly here, or at vipm.io, or at e-mail info@anv-tech.com.

• By Bryan
      TestStand Version(s) Used: 2010 thru 2016
      Windows (7 & 10)
      Database: MS SQL Server (v?)
      Note: The database connection I'm referring to is what's configured in "Configure > Result Processing", (or equivalent location in older versions).
      Based on some issues we've been having with nearly all of our TestStand-based production testers, I'm assuming that TestStand opens the configured database connection when the sequence is run, and maintains that same connection for all subsequent UUTs tested until the sequence is stopped/terminated/aborted.  However, I'm not sure of this and would like someone to either confirm or correct this assumption. 
      The problem we're having is that: Nearly all of our TestStand-based production testers have intermittently been losing their database connections - returning an error (usually after the PASS/FAIL banner).  I'm not sure if it's a TestStand issue or an issue with the database itself. The operator - Seeing and only caring about whether it passed or failed, often ignores the error message and soldiers on, mostly ignoring every error message that pops up.  Testers at the next higher assembly that look for a passed record of the sub assemblies' serial number in the database will now fail their test because they can't find a passed record of the serial number. 
      We've tried communicating with the operators to either let us know when the error occurs, re-test the UUT, or restart TestStand (usually the option that works), but it's often forgotten or ignored.
      The operators do not stop the test sequence when they go home for the evening/weekend/etc. so, TestStand is normally left waiting for them to enter the next serial number of the device to test.  I'm assuming that their connection to the database is still opened during this time.  If so, it's almost as though MS SQL has been configured to terminate idle connections to it, or if something happens with the SQL Server - the connection hasn't been properly closed or re-established, etc. 
      Our LabVIEW based testers don't appear to have this problem unless there really is an issue with the database server.  The majority of these testers I believe open > write > close their database connections at the completion of a unit test. 
      I'm currently looking into writing my own routine to be called in the "Log to Database" callback which will open > write > close the database connection.  But, I wanted to check if anyone more knowledgeable had any insight before I spend time doing something that may have an easy fix.
      Thanks all!
    • By Gepponline
      Hi,
       I'm trying to insert some NULL values in a datetime field.
      In the example, the DATA_INSERIMENTO field has a non empty value and it works correctly but DATA_INTERVENTO doesn't accept NULL.
      If I use an empty string instead of null, the VI run without any errors but it fill the database field with a 1900-01-01 and it's not what I want.

If I use the DB Tools NULL VI it gives me another type of error, maybe 'cause I'm connecting a variant to a cluster of string.
      If i use a Variant to Data VI for the NULL value it returns an empty string so not the result I need.

If use the string you see in the label at the bottom of my diagram in SQL Server manager, it works correctly.
      How can I obtain the same result with labview?
    • By ATE-ENGE
      Background:
      I've been using LabVIEW for a few years for automation testing tasks and until recently have been saving my data to "[DescriptorA]\[DescriptorB]\[test_info].csv" files. A few months ago, a friend turned me on to the concept of relational databases, I've been really impressed by their response times and am reworking my code and following the examples with the Database Connectivity Toolkit (DCT) to use "[test_info].mdb" with my provider being a Microsoft jet oldb database.
      However, I'm beginning to see the limitations of the DCT namely:
      No support for auto-incrementing primary keys No support for foreign keys Difficult to program stored procedures and I'm sure a few more that I don't know yet.
      Now I've switched over to architecting my database in MySQL Workbench. Suffice to say I'm a bit out of my depth and have a few questions that I haven't seen covered in tutorials
       Questions (General):
       Using Microsoft jet oldb I made a connection string "Data Source= C:\[Database]\[databasename.mdb]" in a .UDL file. However, the examples I've seen for connecting to MySQL databases use IP addresses and ports.
      Is a MySQL database still a file? If not, how do I put it on my networked server \\[servername\Database\[file]? If so, what file extensions exist for databases and what is the implication of each extension? I know of .mdb, but are there others I could/should be using (such as .csv's vs .txt's)  My peers, who have more work experience than me but no experience with databases, espouse a 2GB limit on all files (I believe from the era of FAT16 disks). My current oldb database is about 200mB in size so 2GB will likely never happen, but I'm curious:
      Do file size limits still apply to database files? If so, how does one have the giant databases that support major websites?  Questions (LabVIEW Specific):
      I can install my [MainTestingVi.exe], which accesses the jet oldb database, on a Windows 10 computer that is fresh out of the box. When I switch over to having a MySQL database, are there any additional tools that I'll need to install as well? 
    • By GregFreeman
      I think I have found a fundamental issue with the DB Toolkit Open connection. It seems to not correctly use connection pooling. The reason I believe it's an issue with LabVIEW and ADODB ActiveX specifically is because the problem does not manifest itself using the ADODB driver in C#. This is better shown with examples. All I am doing in these examples is opening and closing connections and benchmarking the connection open time.
      Adodb and Oracle driver in LabVIEW.

ADODB in C#

namespace TestAdodbOpenTime { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { Stopwatch sw = new Stopwatch(); for (int i = 0; i < 30; i++) { ADODB.Connection cn = new ADODB.Connection(); int count = Environment.TickCount; cn.Open("Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=FASTBAW;Extended Properties=PLSQLRSet=1;Pooling=true;", "USERID", "PASSWORD", -1); sw.Stop(); cn.Close(); int elapsedTime = Environment.TickCount - count; Debug.WriteLine("RunTime " + elapsedTime); } } } } Output:
      RunTime 203
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0

Notice the time nicely aligns between the LabVIEW code leveraging the .NET driver and the C# code using ADODB. The first connection takes a bit to open then the rest the connection pooling takes over nicely and the connect time is 0. 

Now cue the LabVIEW ActiveX implementation and every open connection time is pretty crummy and very sporadic. 

One thing I happened to find out by accident when troubleshooting was if I add a property node on the block diagram where I open a connection, and if I don't close the reference, my subsequent connect times are WAY faster (between 1 and 3 ms). That is what leads me to believe this may be a bug in whatever LabVIEW does to interface with ActiveX.

Has anyone seen issues like this before or have any idea of where I can look to help me avoid wrapping up the driver myself?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.