Copy and Modify Database Toolkit

I am running calls to a various stored procedures in parallel, each with their own connection refnums. A few of these calls can take a while to execute from time to time. In critical parts of my application I would like the Cmd Execute.vi to be reentrant. Generally I handle this by making a copy of the NI library and namespacing my own version. I can then make a reentrant copy of the VI I need and save it in my own library, then commit it in version control so everyone working on the project has it. But the library is password protected so even a copy of it keeps it locked. I can't do a save as on the VIs that I need and make a reentrant copy, nor can I add any new VIs to the library.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have resorted to taking NIs library, including it inside my own library, then basically rewriting the VIs I need by copying the contents from the block diagram of the VI I want to "save as" and pasting them in another VI.

Edited by GregFreeman

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bryan
      TestStand Version(s) Used: 2010 thru 2016
      Windows (7 & 10)
      Database: MS SQL Server (v?)
      Note: The database connection I'm referring to is what's configured in "Configure > Result Processing", (or equivalent location in older versions).
      Based on some issues we've been having with nearly all of our TestStand-based production testers, I'm assuming that TestStand opens the configured database connection when the sequence is run, and maintains that same connection for all subsequent UUTs tested until the sequence is stopped/terminated/aborted.  However, I'm not sure of this and would like someone to either confirm or correct this assumption. 
      The problem we're having is that: Nearly all of our TestStand-based production testers have intermittently been losing their database connections - returning an error (usually after the PASS/FAIL banner).  I'm not sure if it's a TestStand issue or an issue with the database itself. The operator - Seeing and only caring about whether it passed or failed, often ignores the error message and soldiers on, mostly ignoring every error message that pops up.  Testers at the next higher assembly that look for a passed record of the sub assemblies' serial number in the database will now fail their test because they can't find a passed record of the serial number. 
      We've tried communicating with the operators to either let us know when the error occurs, re-test the UUT, or restart TestStand (usually the option that works), but it's often forgotten or ignored.
      The operators do not stop the test sequence when they go home for the evening/weekend/etc. so, TestStand is normally left waiting for them to enter the next serial number of the device to test.  I'm assuming that their connection to the database is still opened during this time.  If so, it's almost as though MS SQL has been configured to terminate idle connections to it, or if something happens with the SQL Server - the connection hasn't been properly closed or re-established, etc. 
      Our LabVIEW based testers don't appear to have this problem unless there really is an issue with the database server.  The majority of these testers I believe open > write > close their database connections at the completion of a unit test. 
      I'm currently looking into writing my own routine to be called in the "Log to Database" callback which will open > write > close the database connection.  But, I wanted to check if anyone more knowledgeable had any insight before I spend time doing something that may have an easy fix.
      Thanks all!
    • By 0_o
      Hi,
      This is not specifically LabVIEW related:
      How do you organize important posts you read and want to save for the time of need?
      For example, I want to save an interesting post from Lavag/NI Forums or any other LV blog.
      This post might contain VIs and I would like to tag it in a way that will let me find it when it becomes relevant.
      I would like such a post to be saved locally like an RSS so that I'll get the new comments and won't depend on the site to keep the links alive.
      I see the veterans here keep track of all the new posts and even offer solutions by giving links to some old posts without having to search for them sometimes.
      Do I miss something? How do you organize it all? I hope to hear of some cool little RSS app that will let me search through the tagged vis and posts stored on my computer and not about some bookmark manager.
      Thanks in advance.

• By ATE-ENGE
      Background:
      I've been using LabVIEW for a few years for automation testing tasks and until recently have been saving my data to "[DescriptorA]\[DescriptorB]\[test_info].csv" files. A few months ago, a friend turned me on to the concept of relational databases, I've been really impressed by their response times and am reworking my code and following the examples with the Database Connectivity Toolkit (DCT) to use "[test_info].mdb" with my provider being a Microsoft jet oldb database.
      However, I'm beginning to see the limitations of the DCT namely:
      No support for auto-incrementing primary keys No support for foreign keys Difficult to program stored procedures and I'm sure a few more that I don't know yet.
      Now I've switched over to architecting my database in MySQL Workbench. Suffice to say I'm a bit out of my depth and have a few questions that I haven't seen covered in tutorials
       Questions (General):
       Using Microsoft jet oldb I made a connection string "Data Source= C:\[Database]\[databasename.mdb]" in a .UDL file. However, the examples I've seen for connecting to MySQL databases use IP addresses and ports.
      Is a MySQL database still a file? If not, how do I put it on my networked server \\[servername\Database\[file]? If so, what file extensions exist for databases and what is the implication of each extension? I know of .mdb, but are there others I could/should be using (such as .csv's vs .txt's)  My peers, who have more work experience than me but no experience with databases, espouse a 2GB limit on all files (I believe from the era of FAT16 disks). My current oldb database is about 200mB in size so 2GB will likely never happen, but I'm curious:
      Do file size limits still apply to database files? If so, how does one have the giant databases that support major websites?  Questions (LabVIEW Specific):
      I can install my [MainTestingVi.exe], which accesses the jet oldb database, on a Windows 10 computer that is fresh out of the box. When I switch over to having a MySQL database, are there any additional tools that I'll need to install as well? 
    • By GregFreeman
      I think I have found a fundamental issue with the DB Toolkit Open connection. It seems to not correctly use connection pooling. The reason I believe it's an issue with LabVIEW and ADODB ActiveX specifically is because the problem does not manifest itself using the ADODB driver in C#. This is better shown with examples. All I am doing in these examples is opening and closing connections and benchmarking the connection open time.
      Adodb and Oracle driver in LabVIEW.

ADODB in C#

namespace TestAdodbOpenTime { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { Stopwatch sw = new Stopwatch(); for (int i = 0; i < 30; i++) { ADODB.Connection cn = new ADODB.Connection(); int count = Environment.TickCount; cn.Open("Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=FASTBAW;Extended Properties=PLSQLRSet=1;Pooling=true;", "USERID", "PASSWORD", -1); sw.Stop(); cn.Close(); int elapsedTime = Environment.TickCount - count; Debug.WriteLine("RunTime " + elapsedTime); } } } } Output:
      RunTime 203
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0
      RunTime 0

Notice the time nicely aligns between the LabVIEW code leveraging the .NET driver and the C# code using ADODB. The first connection takes a bit to open then the rest the connection pooling takes over nicely and the connect time is 0. 

Now cue the LabVIEW ActiveX implementation and every open connection time is pretty crummy and very sporadic. 

One thing I happened to find out by accident when troubleshooting was if I add a property node on the block diagram where I open a connection, and if I don't close the reference, my subsequent connect times are WAY faster (between 1 and 3 ms). That is what leads me to believe this may be a bug in whatever LabVIEW does to interface with ActiveX.

Has anyone seen issues like this before or have any idea of where I can look to help me avoid wrapping up the driver myself?

• By etgohomeok
      Hello, this is not strictly VI Scripting related but I believe it's a pretty similar topic, so I hope this fits in with the discussion on this board.
      I am attempting to write a script that parses through the contents of a very large LabVIEW project (thousands of files) recursively and selectively moves/renames some of the files. The basics of this are fairly simple, however I have thus far been unable to come up with a way of moving files on disk that handles all relinking and dependencies without any issues.
      At a high-level, my question is whether or not the "Move on Disk..." option in the right-click menu of the project explorer "Files" view is accessible programmatically somehow, using invoke nodes. The option I'm talking about, for clarification, is this one:

Using this option in the project explorer seems to be able to move all types of files in the project (VIs, libraries, classes, etc.) and handle all relinking properly without any conflicts popping up. However, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent "Move on Disk" method int he invoke node for project items. I have had some success with some of the "super secret" nodes for VIs:

However this only works for VIs and there is no equivalent function for library (.lvlib) and class (.lvclass) files. I've tried various combinations of saving and relinking functions that are available, however I always end up with conflicts when I load the project after running my script.
      If the "Move on Disk..." function is not accessible programmatically, does anyone know of another way to programmatically move/rename library and class files on disk without causing conflicts?
      Thanks,
      Ethan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.