How do you organize important posts and code you read

Hi,

This is not specifically LabVIEW related:

How do you organize important posts you read and want to save for the time of need?

For example, I want to save an interesting post from Lavag/NI Forums or any other LV blog.

This post might contain VIs and I would like to tag it in a way that will let me find it when it becomes relevant.

I would like such a post to be saved locally like an RSS so that I'll get the new comments and won't depend on the site to keep the links alive.

I see the veterans here keep track of all the new posts and even offer solutions by giving links to some old posts without having to search for them sometimes.

Do I miss something? How do you organize it all? I hope to hear of some cool little RSS app that will let me search through the tagged vis and posts stored on my computer and not about some bookmark manager.

Thanks in advance.

For the most part I just use Google, and the fragments of memory I have.  Someone will post something and I'll be like "That sounds familiar, did I help answer a similar question once?" and I'll search "(topic idea) hooovahh site:lavag.org".  Beyond that I do have a list of commonly asked questions that I bookmark.  Chrome settings are synced if you are logged in so I have a few folders with common links to various threads that I add to from time to time.  Sorry I don't have some super magical RSS tool.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 0_o said:

How do you organize important posts you read and want to save for the time of need?

Brain power and Google is the standard solution if the search box at the top doesn't satisfy you.

That said, I'm using firefox, so Pocket is one way to keep track of it. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/pocket/

And of course you can make use of bookmarks in your favorite browser, but chances are high that it grows so much that you need Google again.

4 hours ago, 0_o said:

For example, I want to save an interesting post from Lavag/NI Forums or any other LV blog. 

This post might contain VIs and I would like to tag it in a way that will let me find it when it becomes relevant.

I would like such a post to be saved locally like an RSS so that I'll get the new comments and won't depend on the site to keep the links alive.

Most of it can be done with Pocket. You get a button which you press while on the page. It stores the page in your Pocket (online) and you can add tags to it. You can also subscribe to an RSS feed of your personal pocket. But it doesn't update contents in your Pocket automatically and the RSS feed only contains the things you add to the Pocket.

For live updates I suggest using the notification feature of Lava (mail based).

4 hours ago, 0_o said:

I see the veterans here keep track of all the new posts and even offer solutions by giving links to some old posts without having to search for them sometimes.

Rest assured, searching was involved. hooovahh summarized it perfectly.

4 hours ago, 0_o said:

I hope to hear of some cool little RSS app that will let me search through the tagged vis and posts stored on my computer and not about some bookmark manager.

To collect the information on your local computer you can use any feed reader you like. But I highly doubt there is any that automatically downloads attachments for you (because that is web scraping, not news reading).

Edited by LogMAN
8 minutes ago, Jordan Kuehn said:

Agreed with a lot of the above. Also, I tend to download lots of the attachments that seem interesting, promptly forget about them, and then months later rediscover them and think "hey that would have been nice to have used weeks ago".

Oh yeah I forgot I used to do this.  I'd download things and just throw them into a sandbox folder where I could play around with stuff people posted and see if I can mine any reuse nuggets out of.  I'd try to make a text file with a link to where I found it online, but searching the name of the VI in google was usually enough to find where it was being discussed.  Still this is less about what OP is asking, and more just myself trying to find and use useful tools.

6 hours ago, LogMAN said:

Brain power and Google is the standard solution if the search box at the top doesn't satisfy you.

That said, I'm using firefox, so Pocket is one way to keep track of it.

I use evernote to keep track of a lot of things in my life, both personal and professional.

When I see articles / posts / code that I really want to keep, I copy the content into a note.

If it's less important I just copy the link into a note.

And I use tags to facilitate latter search.