High speed and frequently communication between 2 PXI/PXIe chassis

Hi,

I am doing a project which required high speed data commnication between 2 chassis. 24 Double digital numbers in a loop rate 10K. The first thing come to my mind is using reflective memory. But the result is not good enough. The data transfer tooks 80% of time in the 10K loop, Then to avoid loop late, I could not do any thing else in this loop.

Is there any option else? Maybe using digital I/O in FPGA card?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I am doing a project which required high speed data commnication between 2 chassis. 24 Double digital numbers in a loop rate 10K. The first thing come to my mind is using reflective memory. But the result is not good enough. The data transfer tooks 80% of time in the 10K loop, Then to avoid loop late, I could not do any thing else in this loop.

Is there any option else? Maybe using digital I/O in FPGA card?

Thanks in advance!

It depends where your bottleneck is.

24xDouble precision numbers @ 10k is about 2MB/sec. Doesn't sound a lot to me.

Are we talking PXI-RT or PXI-Windows7? How are you acquiring and how are you transferring (TCPIP, MXI?).

It depends where your bottleneck is.

24xDouble precision numbers @ 10k is about 2MB/sec. Doesn't sound a lot to me.

Are we talking PXI-RT or PXI-Windows7? How are you acquiring and how are you transferring (TCPIP, MXI?).

It's PXI-RT, And yes, A 2MB/s is not high speed. But when I need a frequently transfering and receiving function in a determined loop rate, it is...

Here is how my application works.

PXI A and PXI B are synchronized using a 10K trigger signal.

PXI A: Loop Rate 10K, Read 12 DBL from PXI B  -->Processing-->Send 12 DBL to PXI B

PXI B: Loop Rate 10K, Read 12 DBL from PXI A  -->Processing-->Send 12 DBL to PXI A

the transfer part took more time than I thought.. My processing part will take about 50us, and the transfer data take about 70us while using reflective memory(GE 5565)... So I am wonder how can I make the transfer time less than 40us.

It's PXI-RT, And yes, A 2MB/s is not high speed. But when I need a frequently transfering and receiving function in a determined loop rate, it is...

Here is how my application works.

PXI A and PXI B are synchronized using a 10K trigger signal.

PXI A: Loop Rate 10K, Read 12 DBL from PXI B  -->Processing-->Send 12 DBL to PXI B

PXI B: Loop Rate 10K, Read 12 DBL from PXI A  -->Processing-->Send 12 DBL to PXI A

the transfer part took more time than I thought.. My processing part will take about 50us, and the transfer data take about 70us while using reflective memory(GE 5565)... So I am wonder how can I make the transfer time less than 40us.

You want it 40 usecs because because 40+50 <100?

Put your acquisition and processing (50us) in a producer loop and the TX in a consumer loop. Then your total processing time will be just the worst of the two (70us) rather than the addition of both.

You want it 40 usecs because because 40+50 <100?

Put your acquisition and processing (50us) in a producer loop and the TX in a consumer loop. Then your total processing time will be just the worst of the two (70us) rather than the addition of both.

Thanks for your methond. But unfortunately, I could not use the producer/consumer because of the data dependancy. The processing function in PXI A depend on the latest data of last loop from PXI B. And so does PXI B. In other word the data need to be synchronized.

So all the program need to be done in 100us. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ricardo de Abreu
      Hi guys. This semester I'm starting a course system development for control and automation engineering, witch will be based on LabView. Therefore, my University doesn't have a NI hardware, even a MyRIO for us to test our VI and the teacher said that we should test our projects with our own Arduino...
      So, I have a little experience in Arduino and I know the basics for LabView. Now I'm in a point that I know that with Arduino I'll not take the best from LabView. I cannot even deploy a code to it.
      So, there is where my question comes in...
      I'm looking for a new board better then Arduino to use in the classes. I would buy a MyRIO card if I had the money but in Brazil this board is too expensive for me
       Witch one should I get that is closest to myRIO and less expensive than that? I would like to try de deployment of a VI and FPGA..... Is this possible?
      Thanks a lot for the help!
      Regards
    • By grjgrj
      Hello. I need change some code for SbRIO-9626 with LabVIEW 2018. I have code from LabVIEW 2015. Right now I have only LabVIEW 2018. And I worked with it for SbRIO-9627.
      LabVIEW FPGA, LabVIEW Real-Time, NICRIO1800 driver istalled.
      And I install Xilinx ISE 11.5 Compilation Tool too. 
      When I start compilation FPGA VI I got error about problem with compilation too (see attachment picture).
      Could you tell me how I can solve this problem? 
      It is very important. 

• By prabhakaran
      Hi,

I am trying to use image convolution inside FPGA. My Image size is around 6kx2k. The convolution is applied properly until 2600 pixels in x resolution. After that, the values seem to miss previous row data. 

In Detail: As convolution is matrix operation, image data needs to be stored for the operation. But it seems there is an inadvertent error storing only 2600 pixels per row inside FPGA. And hence the filtered output is calculated assuming these pixels to be 0. 

I have tried with different image sizes, different convolution kernels, and also in different targets (cRIO 9030 and IC 3173). All results are same.

I have attached a screenshot of FPGA VI and an example image.

The example image shows an input image of 4000x2500 of same pixel value 16.The kernel is 3x3 of values 1 with divider=1. The RT image is processed using IMAQ convolute inside RT controller and has value 144 [(9*16)/1] for all pixels. But the FPGA processed image (zoomed in) has 144 until 2597 pixels and then 112 (7*16- showing 1 column of 2 rows missing) at 2598, 80 (5*16- showing 2 columns of 2 rows missing) at 2599 and 48 after that (missing 3 columns of 2 rows- current row is always present). This shows the data is missing from the previous rows after 2600 index.

Is there some mistake in the code or any workaround available?

• By tdavid
      Hi,
      If I generate an FPGA IP core from my LabVIEW code, can I use it somehow in traditional FPGA development environments, such as Vivado?
      Thanks,
      David
    • By Nala
      Hello everybody,

I'm about to write an application that can create a complete new FPGA-Project for the cRIO-system automatically without any user Input.

Before I ask my question directly, I will give you a few Information about the system and how it works at the moment.
      I'm working with a cRIO-system that can have different modules in different slots (max 8). That system should be universally usable which means I can replace one module with another one at the start up and create a complete new project with a different name.

Most of the project works (I can find out in which slots which module is placed and load the right VI's correctly) but there is one point which I really dislike: the user always has to give some input Information at the beginning of the creation and mostly that is the same like "Which type of project it should be" or "Which IP address should be used to find the system and the modules for each slot".

The goal is that I can write down some specific arguments so the program is created automatically?
      Or - if there is no way to do this - a way that a second window is shown on screen to help the user through the creation process (for example that tells the user that the system need to be turned on that the project can find every single module)?

English isn't my mother tongue, so please apologize if there are any mistakes in my spelling.
      Thank you very much for your help

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.