What do you think of the new NI logo and marketing push?

ExtremelyĀ bold.

I work in a conservative organisation who uses NI's offerings a lot and I know many collegues who will not take this lightly. And it will probably bug me a little that any future NI hardware we purchase will not visually match current gen.

ButĀ subjectively I like it. Feels contemporyary. But will it stand the test of time?

To be honest is looks to me like someone abused a powerpoint template fromĀ 2007. I am personally not really fond of serif fonts and the added radius on 3 of the 4 corners of the buttons seems unnecessary to me. That said, the rebranding doesn't actually affect me in any meaningful productive way so I guess it's their choice to burn a pile of cash on a rebrand.

Edited by kull3rk3ks
1 hour ago, Dataflow_G said:

The logo is pretty uninspired and looks lifted from this company.

Ā 

Wow that does look pretty similar! I guess the missing square in the top right corner makes all the difference though, there is no way anyone could get confused.

I am not sure sure about the colour appearing in NXG though. new-NI has collected lots of data which conclusively proves that engineers and scientists are actually put off by colour and so are sticking to light grey, dull grey and washed out grey.

My train of thoughts about it:

1. Do I have a browser or display issue....
  2. Someone must have hacked the site and messed it up really good - yuck...
  3. Wow, they are serious....this is even worse than NXG, someone should turn the ship...
  4. Is this an attempt to be appear more "green"?
  5. What screen resolution do they think people have? I have to double mine to read this properly...
  6. I wonder how this looks like for people who are color blind...(let me try onĀ https://www.toptal.com/designers/colorfilter, nah the welcome dialog blocks that...)
  7. This is making me depressed, let me close this thing...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

So NI pushed out their new logo and website. What do you think?

Wait what?Ā :blink:

After a few minutes of browsing, I must say itĀ willĀ take time to get used to. Fortunately most of the things are roughly at the same place as before, so that's a plus.
The site is obviously build with a mobile-first approach, which makes it slightly annoying to use for everyone else...

image.png.e0443c22924dabc4357739a12377e052.png

Edited by LogMAN

The site is doing a sales pitch on it's front page. That's fine all sites do that. I'm already a customer so IĀ go to the NI site for 1) product information, 2) support, or 3) downloads. It took me poking about a bit to find what was looking for as the navigation feels almost hidden up top. Now that I've got an idea of how the layout has changed I think I'm OK and it might be more navigable. Just got to ignore everything past the top inch of main page and all should be good.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Mads said:

If I have to say one positive thing about the new look its that the color palette is probably very very rare....

Well, they probably didn't find the slider for color and thus decided to fix it later (or their monitors have much higher contrast than mine). For now I haveĀ installed Stylish to fix my links. Imagine if this was the defaultĀ šŸ˜Š

image.png.d068a793a707dd040121f457d5c208c6.png

• Like 1

I would like to end the day withĀ positive (and hopefully constructive) feedback, so here is a list of pros on the new design:

• All the old links still work
  • Broken pages (that I knew of) are fixed
  • The top navigation bar takes less space (148px to 97px), which gives a bit more space to the page content
  • Mobile view works much better than before, at least for general navigation (most of the content didn't change as far as I can tell)
  • All the text in header and footer isĀ bigger than before, which makes it much more readable, especially on higher resolution and smaller screens (not zoomed)
  • It "feels" slightly faster than before. Not sure if it's me imagining things, but the site seems more responsive than before (perhaps they improved on lazy loading?)

This is certainly something I can get used to (not that I have a choice anyway). However, I strongly suggest to use a different color palette for content pages. Dark green links, different shades of gray, and black text are almost indistinguishable and look very dull. Please give me some eye candyĀ šŸ˜¢

Other than that, I'm quite okayĀ with most of the changes.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Aristos Queue said:

I liked it in theory, but I'm seeing a bunch of warnings online about Stylish having become malware that is shipping private information to third-party. You might want to investigate.

There is Stylus which is a malware / analytic free fork of Stylish.

BTW, did your avatar succumb to the rebrand too?

8 hours ago, Aristos Queue said:

I liked it in theory, but I'm seeing a bunch of warnings online about Stylish having become malware that is shipping private information to third-party. You might want to investigate.

Thanks for the heads-up. I actually limited access to *.ni.com, specifically, so I should be fine.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, Neil Pate said:

I guess the missing square in the top right corner makes all the difference though, there is no way anyone could get confused.

The different letters mean nobody could confuse it with the TechCrunch logo either:

techcrunch.png.2bec39ba1ff512614cb0d3ad1c6dcaf3.png