Where do y'all get your (free) artwork for UI elements?

David Boyd

I've spent way too much time this morning looking for a simple set of three line art drawings to represent a closed door, an open door, and a locked door, so I can simply display the status of the door of an environmental chamber.  Still haven't located a coherent set that is (IMO) easy to interpret.  I don't do this often enough to have favorite online places.  Anyone want to chime in here?

Thanks,

Dave

I sometimes create my own using Paint or GIMP.  More often than not, it's some web searches for icons or graphics that I can use.  

Of course, most of my graphics are for programs that are used internal to my organization.  If it were to be also output as a deliverable product, I'd have to ensure that I'm not violating any creative rights/licensing.

I've always found it contradictory that LabVIEW itself, which relies so heavily on GUI, has such a limited selection of provided icons and buttons.

Especially those useful for electronic testing and similar purposes: remixicon.com contains over 2000 icons, but the word 'electronic' yields no results. Additionally, the word 'test' yields only one result, an icon for A/B testing primarily used in software testing.

NI: why you do this?

1 hour ago, codcoder said:

I've always found it contradictory that LabVIEW itself, which relies so heavily on GUI, has such a limited selection of provided icons and buttons.

Especially those useful for electronic testing and similar purposes: remixicon.com contains over 2000 icons, but the word 'electronic' yields no results. Additionally, the word 'test' yields only one result, an icon for A/B testing primarily used in software testing.

NI: why you do this?

Icons are the resource sink of many development teams. 😀

Everybody has their own ideas what a good icon should be, their preferred style, color, flavor, emotional ring and what else. And LabVIEW actually has a fairly extensive icon library in the icon editor since many moons.

You can't find your preferred icon in there? Of course not, even if it had a few 10000 you would be bound to not find it, because:

1) Nothing in there suits your current mood

2) You can't find it among the whole forest of trees

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

Icons are the resource sink of many development teams. 😀

Everybody has their own ideas what a good icon should be, their preferred style, color, flavor, emotional ring and what else. And LabVIEW actually has a fairly extensive icon library in the icon editor since many moons.

You can't find your preferred icon in there? Of course not, even if it had a few 10000 you would be bound to not find it, because:

1) Nothing in there suits your current mood

2) You can't find it among the whole forest of trees

3) Used all the good ones in other products.

I have a load of icon sets from Tucows which is now defunct. Icon sets are difficult to find nowadays. You used to get 200 in a pack. Now they are individual downloads on websites.

Edited by ShaunR

Sometimes a text is better than an icon. In your case coming up with a descriptive icon is quite tricky and the words would be also short, so maybe better to use words.
Anyway: I use paint in many cases and design my own icons. It's a nice way to get away from coding a bit.