I am taking a sabbatical from LabVIEW and NI R&D

Well, that creates a mixed reaction.

On the one hand, obviously, congratulations, good luck, enjoy, etc.

On the other, we're losing our resident Greg McKascle and we'll have to see if someone else with the same level of knowledge steps up to offer such access to internal information. I can think of some and hopefully one or more of them will provide.

Good flying...

A word of caution (seriously): before you send people in space on a device simulated/tested with LabVIEW, keep in mind that a non-negligible fraction (I am not saying a large fraction, but one bug can be enough) of its algorithms/numerical codes are buggy and since they are closed source (for the most part), the only way to figure out is to run into inconsistencies or unexpected results. This takes a OCD scientific mind to discover, the hard way. Especially in the "uncommon" regimes, those which Dr Murphy likes to invoke at the worst time...

As users, we've done our best to let NI know, but at best it has taken years for actual bugs to be fixed, when they have been fixed... Maybe time to check those X_Bug_Report tagged posts on forums.ni.com...

Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Oh, and here I am jumping back into the forums one month later to see the backside of a great contributor leaving it! Congratulations, AQ! This sounds like one of those "couldn't say no" opportunities, I'm truly excited for you, go forth and dequeue 🤣

I recently got my own boost of adrenaline, started work with the Facebook Reality Labs crew who are turning out to be a great team. Time to knock off that VI rust and get back in the game 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck Sir- you are one of the shining lights of LabVIEW and your willingness to share deep insights on this and the NI forums was of immeasurable value.  I hope that there are others at NI with a comparable understanding and skillset but that is probably unlikely.

• 1 year later...

I think this is a very positive thing that more should be encouraged to take part in.

For Application engineers and R&D Devs to do sabbaticals, on loan, to companies would build good relationships in the industry and ensure tight cohesion and understanding between the developers of LabVIEW and the customers' that use LabVIEW. There is nothing like a dose of ones own medicine to encourage improving the taste.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:22 PM, ShaunR said:

I think this is a very positive thing that more should be encouraged to take part in.

For Application engineers and R&D Devs to do sabbaticals, on loan, to companies would build good relationships in the industry and ensure tight cohesion and understanding between the developers of LabVIEW and the customers' that use LabVIEW. There is nothing like a dose of ones own medicine to encourage improving the taste.

The two times we had people in our AE team do this we never got them back 🙃

9 hours ago, jacobson said:

The two times we had people in our AE team do this we never got them back 🙃

I don't know if it's the same people, Matt, but I've encouraged a couple folks to jump over to the companies they were temping for because it was better for NI. NI's position with those customers was stronger for having an "insider" on their teams. There is only gain for NI when one of our G developers goes off to be a full-time G programmer for another company! I only worry when our top G developers leave NI *and* they leave G. 🙂

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...